S-T-R-E-S-S. This six letter word is a reality of modern life. Stress is the price we pay for our ambitions, desires, goals and progress. According to a survey by the American Psychological Association, 75% of adults reported experiencing moderate to high levels of stress in a month.
Although small amounts of stress prepares our body for a fight-or-flight response and is necessary for drawing motivation to achieve our goals, chronic stress may lead to serious health problems like high blood pressure, heart diseases and depression.
So what can you do to deal with stress? Very simple! Calm down, stop worrying and just relax, we are here to help you. Read on for some super easy, tried and tested ways to lift the burden of stress from your mind.
1. Control Your Mind
It’s all in the mind.
The main cause of stress is the continuous negativity surrounding your mind. So the first step in dealing with stress is to control your mind and fill it with positive affirmations.
Start by taking a deep breath and telling yourself “It’s OK” and that everything will be alright. You will notice that half the battle against stress is won when you assure yourself that there is nothing to worry about.
2. Feel the Magic of Yoga on Your Soul!
Have you ever noticed that when you are stressed your muscles tend to become stiff?
Yoga is the best antidote for stress. Yoga loosens your nerves, increases blood flow to all the parts of your body and eases your mind. Once you make yoga a regular part of your life you will start experiencing drastic changes in your life – you will be more cheerful, worry less and would be able to handle difficult tasks with ease.
3. Relax Your Body
When stress becomes a habit you need to learn to relax your body. Follow these simple steps to get rid of your worries:
- First of all, find a comfortable and preferably silent place. It could be your bedroom, patio or any of your favorite places.
- Now lie down on your back and loosen your body. Remember to not have a single tense muscle, especially the muscles of your eyes, forehead and tummy.
- Outstretch your hands and legs with the palms of your hands open.
- Now close your eyes and try to let go of all thoughts in your mind. Remember not to allow a single thought in your mind – let your brain be at rest and set yourself free.
- Breathe deeply – inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Repeat this about 10 times.
- If you are still feeling tensed then start pressing from the center of your forehead – the place where your eyebrows are the closest to each other, and keep pressing till the place your eyebrows end. Repeat this until you feel relaxed.
- These exercises are so soothing that you might fall asleep. That’s also helpful if you are suffering from insomnia 🙂
4. Soothe Your Senses With Music
Everybody loves music! And why not? Music is something that can instantly lift our spirits and provide a soothing effect. If you are stressed out then music can be the perfect recipe for relaxation.
We are sure you must have your favorite type of music – it could be rock, pop, country, electronic … anything you like, except sad music of course ;). You could play some relaxing music in the background while go about your daily chores. This will keep you relaxed, calm and cheerful.
Checkout this super soothing and relaxing music. It’s our favorite!
Listen to it and let us know how you liked it.
5. Lift Up Your Mood With Some Pampering
Admit it – You love getting pampered! But when was the last time you took out time for yourself? Amidst the hustle and bustle of daily life it’s easy to forget taking care of yourself. But pampering yourself can be a great stress buster because when you are happy there is no room for stress and worries.
Go get your nails done, or that funky new hairdo you always wanted to try, or get a full body massage.
Blah! You don’t have time to visit a salon? The best part about pampering “yourself” is that it is so easy to do it “yourself” … LOL. You can simply immerse your feet in warm water while watching TV or get a hot water bath before going to bed.
6. Keep Your Heart Happy
Numerous studies have established that obesity and a sedentary lifestyle are the major causes of diseases like diabetes and also contribute to stress and anxiety. Walking and running are the simplest exercises you can do to keep your weight in check and your life free of stress. They help increase blood flow to the entire body thereby gradually decreasing your chances of getting a heart disease. You would do yourself a big favor if you get into the habit of walking or running daily.
7. Enlighten Your Spirits
Imagine yourself walking in a lush green forest with sweet smells of flowers in full bloom wafting through the air and your eardrums happily touched by the melodious songs of birds. With each step the gushing sound of a waterfall comes closer, and when finally you reach the top of the mountain, a breathtaking scene of a wide valley with tall mountains on either side and a gorgeous sunset awaits you!
What could be more peaceful and pleasant than nature itself? So the next time you are tensed try going to the beach and listening to the power of the ocean or simply go for a walk in your neighborhood park.
Now that you know how to deal with stress it’s time to open your wings and finally let your life fly to uncharted destinations!